Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 2 Video Responses


Q: For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
A: For the video Aesthetics: Philosophy of the Arts the key concepts I learned were what aesthetics is and what the definition of it was throughout the history of art.  Also I learned how many philosophers defined real beauty.  For the video CARTA: Neurobiology Neurology and Art and Aesthetics I learned the neurological view, from two different scientists, of visual art and aesthetics. Since I am majoring in biology I found this video much more interesting than the first one.

Q:  Which philosopher's theroy on aesthetics do you feel is most important? Be sure to mention the philosphers name, era (time in history), and contribtion to the aesthetic theory in your response.
A: I believe that Immanuel Kant, the 18th century philosopher, had the most important theory on aesthetics.  He stated that “Through the genius, nature set rules to art”.  He described beauty as not being governed by concepts and that it cannot be described simply by words.  Beauty is a pure form experienced in selfless contemplation.  He also recognized artists as people who are exceptionally sensitive and superior individuals.  I think that without his theory on aesthetics beauty in art would be defined as something else today.
Q: What do you think about Changeux and Ramachandran scientific view of aesthetics and art? What was the most interesting fact you discovered from each speakers lecture?
A: I really enjoyed the scientific view of aesthetics and art that Changeux and Ramachandran had to share.  The most interesting thing that I learned from Changeux was the comparison he made with conscious reading and non-concious reading, to me that was very interesting.  The most interesting thing that I learned from Ramachandran was that art is not to create a realistic picture but is used to deliberately alter or distort  something to create a pleasing affect on the brain.  I enjoyed the second half of the video much more.
Q: How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?
A: The videos and the book both described the view points of aesthetics and beauty and the connection to art. 

Q: What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics in your reading?
A: The first film seemed to drag on about history which is not particularly something that I am interested in but, the second film really made sense of the whole concept to me.  I understood the concept better when it was presented scientifically.  Without the second film I would not understand how it all works as well as I do now.  The second film helped me understand the things that I was reading in the book better.

No comments:

Post a Comment