Sunday, December 11, 2011

Self Portrait

Inspirational Pieces:
Chuck Close, Big Self-Portrait, acrylic on canvas, 1967-68, 273 x 212 cm


Gustave Courbet, The Desperate Man, oil on canvas, 1844-1845, 45 x 55cm


Marcel Duchamp. Self-Portrait in Profile. 1958. Torn colored paper on black background. 14.3 x 12.5 cm.

Self Portrait

Picture used for self portrait




1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?  I selected these inspirational pieces because they seemed the most similar to something I had in mind for my own.  
2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait? I selected pencil because I know I am not a stronger drawer/sketcher and I would need to be able to erase and redraw in this process.
3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them? It was hard for me to try and draw myself because i could really tell how disproportional my face really is but, I guess that is what makes it real.  I overcome it by trying my best to realize that the portrait was me and I am really and imperfect.   
4. How does this piece represent you? I like to think that this piece represents me in a way where I feel confident and good about myself.
5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work? I used lots of lines especially in my first steps of sketching, I also used different values of the pencil to create bolder lines in some places and darker values in my hair.
6. Did you enjoy working on this project? I did enjoy working on this project because it turned out better than I thought it would.
7. What do you think of your final artwork? I think that it is probably the best picture I have ever drawn of myself, even though its not perfect I know I worked hard on it and thats all that matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment